Self-care is important; physically, mentally and emotionally. If done properly and appropriately it can reduce stress and help you feel relaxed, happy and motivated. Here’s a few of my tips…
Self-care for the mind:
- Get rid of the negative from your life; any source of negativity in your life just get rid of it! Whether its people, social media, a job…
- Change it up; those who are stuck in a routine are more likely miserable. Walk to work? Change the route you walk. Go shopping every Saturday? Go on a Friday.
- Smile and laugh; this releases endorphins (feel good brain chemicals). What’s life without a good laugh; read a joke, watch a comedy, hang out with a funny friend.
- Be selfish every so often; say no to others, and do things to make yourself happy.
- De-clutter; get rid of all the items you don’t use or want. Yes that means the dress with the tags still on, but you won’t ever wear it. Get rid of it.
Self-care for the body:
- Exercise regularly; do at least 30 minutes a week. You can opt for more or less dependent on how you handle the exercise.
- Drink more water! Nothing more refreshing than a glass of water, researchers say you should drink 8 glasses a day. But aim for at least 4 glasses. Stay hydrated. This can help you lose weight and keep your skin clean!
- Get enough sleep; 7-9 hours each day. Your body can’t provide you the energy to keep going if you don’t let it rest.
- Cut down on the caffeine, alcohol and cigarettes. It damages your body in different ways, and relying on those habits lead to health problems. Kick it whilst you can.
- Get into a health care routine; keep yourself clean; showers, brushing your teeth; flossing, products for your skin, cutting your nails. If you look good, you’ll feel good!
Self-care for the soul:
- Connect with others; preferably positive people who are on the same wave length as you. This should be family or friends that encourage you and care about your well-being.
- Plan a break; whether it’s a day out, or a weekend away. Allow yourself time to be alone with your thoughts. Turn off your phone, and enjoy your break.
- Set goals and reflect; when you set yourself a goal you’re more likely to achieve it, you give yourself motivation to get it done. Especially when you set a date for the goal. After the set date; reflect. If you didn’t achieve it; ask yourself why? Figure out how to overcome the problem you encountered and set out to get it done. If you did achieve the goal, give yourself a reward you deserve it!
- Help someone; even if it’s opening the door for someone, or picking up an item they dropped. You’ll feel like a better person.
- Ask for help; that assignment you’re stuck on, speak to your teacher/tutor. It’s good get lean on people and get support sometimes.
So there you have it, my tips for self-care and how important it is to do these. Honestly guy’s if you make sure you do one of these tips a week. I can guarantee you’ll feel better in yourself! Of course self-care works in different ways for everyone, and I could have added a lot more on this post. But I just wanted to get across the main ideas and get you thinking about it.
Enjoy your day, and remember to be happy 🙂
*Disclaimer; I used https://www.canva.com to create my blog featured image. I did create it myself, but tools and icons were from Canva.